Monday, March 15, 2010

The Ides of March

I just had dinner with a friend who is going through such a difficult time in his life. On the way home, the first thought that came to me was that it just wasn't fair! Why would this happen to someone so good? As soon as I had commented to myself that life wasn't fair, the words another friend had posted on her blog came to me. It was beautifully written recently a few days ago, and I don't think I could have said it better:

http://scatteredlight-idg.blogspot.com/2010/03/its-just-not-fair.html

I have thought a lot about her post lately...because her point is so true...life isn't fair...but why do we only notice that when it comes to the bad or negative things?  Why don't I ever say, "My family is wonderful and my home is lovely!  Its just not fair!" 

I got called from daycare today because Nathan had had diarrhea three times and that is the max before they call you to come get him.  He can't go back for 24 hours.  A year ago, this would have stressed me out...I would have been annoyed my kid was sick, that I needed to figure out tomorrow, that we would all probably catch this latest bug..etc..etc.  But, today, it didn't really bother me.  My mind said, "No biggee.  I get to leave early to pick up my adorable little boy, make him feel better, and be there."  I get to be there.  How wonderful is that? 

So many people around me are missing someone.  Or someones.  I can feel their hurt.  And I want them to feel better.  So, tonight I pray for them.  I pray that God will help them through this hard time in their lives as only He can, and that slowly, but surely, the empty shell they currently feel will be filled with joy-- and that someday, either tomorrow or years and years from now, they get to be there with that someone once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment