Friday, July 23, 2010

What a difference a few days can make...

As you can tell by my last post, I had no idea I was going to go into labor that night.  With Nathan, I waited and waited, and tried everything, but yet had to be induced.  I pretty much expected it this time as well, especially since my due date was off by two weeks and they moved it up...clearly I wouldn't go into labor on my own this time either...

but the past few doctor's visits every week my doctor told me how much closer I was getting...and that I was having contractions, so I did start to wonder and I made sure I was getting things done and ready....  Good thing too...because Evan arrived Wednesday afternoon after 11 hours of labor....

I couldn't believe he was suddenly here!

I woke up around 2AM Wednesday morning with a really bad cramp.   Geez, I thought, I guess that Juicy Lucy I had at Matt's Bar really isn't sitting well with me.  I went to the bathroom, and back to bed.  Another cramp.  Hmmm, I thought, I had better go drink some water, I am having some bad cramps/light contractions or something.   Back to bed.  A few minutes later.  Another one.  A few minutes later.  Another one.  Crap, I thought, maybe I should time these. 

By now it was about 2:30, ...6 minutes apart...then 5 minutes apart...how ironic was it that I had had a conversation with a coworker the day before about how far apart your contractions should be before you go in?  We were laughing that neither of us knew after our firsts because we were induced. 

I went and cleaned up the family room - put all of Nathan's toys away, and picked up the kitchen.  Why you ask?  My first thought was, Chris' parents will come over, and they will see this mess...either way, maybe it will help them go away.  It didn't.

I went downstairs to the basement and laid down for awhile because I started to feel nauseous, and didn't want to wake Christopher for a false alarm.  It was 3 am then, and I told myself I would wake Chris at 4 if things didn't slow down.  I thought about eating a few saltines or something, but was worried they would come right back up, so I didn't. 

I remember staring at the clock...really?  Still 5 minutes?  oh wait, that was only 4 minutes...then 6 minutes...then 5 again...it hit 4AM and I went upstairs and sat down on our bed and said, "Christopher, I am having contractions".

He woke up and said, "yes sweetie, you will have them for weeks now off and on probably...go back to sleep..."

And I said, "No.  I am having contractions.  Steady ones.  5 minutes apart.  We need to call your parents and go to the hospital."

He said, "are you serious?"  :-)  (after the fact now this makes me laugh....)

We called the hospital, they said, "come in!", we packed up, his parents came over, and we stopped downtown so I could go into work and grab my computer (the one night I don't bring it home!).  My contractions were 3 minutes apart in the car.

Got the hospital, they said, we will monitor you for an hour, if you don't change, we will send you home.  I seriously knew I couldn't go home..my contractions were starting to hurt dang bad...30 minutes later, I paged the nurse, she was like, "yes?" and I go, "my water just broke."  She came in and was like, "looks like you are staying and having a baby today!"


A few hours later we went from three...to four!  Joy!


A happy older brother!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't believe the irony either when Brian told me Chris called him. It was so bizarre, because that night that you posted your last post, Brian had asked me if I had heard recently how you were doing and I said I hadn't...later I saw your post and updated him. Congratulations! I'm so glad things went to well and you all look happy, especially Nathan. I can't get over that big smile! What a proud big brother!

    ReplyDelete