Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The countdown begins...

Two weeks left and I am back to work.  My thoughts flip between excitement and anxiety about it.  I am comforted by the fact that my mom will be watching Evan the month of December.  In the meantime, I am keeping myself busy and focusing on the holidays.

Yesterday I made stollen.  I even put some of the ingredients in little measuring cups like they do on the food shows, just for fun!  

I soaked the fruit in rum just for fun as well...
I make this for my mom every year...I have tried about four recipes, and I think this one is the best.  I have altered it by only using all natural nuts and dried fruits, rather than those candied fruits that are full of crap.  I also use different amounts of eggs and extracts, so I guess it is actually my own now.   
Bakin'!
I have also been working on some hot pads for my mom for Christmas - these are so fun to make and are quick and easy.  I found the free pattern online and they only use one skein of yarn for each - I am making a slightly bigger one right  now, so we will see how that turns out.  I might make these for some other people too time depending.  With work creeping back up on me, I am sure many things will cease and I will spend each evening huggin' my babies... 

On Friday night I got a lot of sewing done on my current quilt...385 (I think) half square triangles...I sewed them, cut them, and pressed them.  Any quilter will understand why this took so frickin' long...now I have to use the Tucker Trimmer to square them all up...that will take a bit too no doubt. 

Current box of quilt pieces...can't wait until I start making the blocks!
On another project note, I made these napkins for my mom two years ago..well, I need to figure out how to adjust the size because they are just way too big for everyday use.  So I am examining it and will have to work up a sample to make sure I get it right once I reduce it. 

On Saturday we had our once a month quilt class plus a Jucy Lucy at Matt's, and then we went shopping at Crafty Planet and Bear Patch.  I got this cute kit for Evan's room...

I also got these two fabrics on clearance ($3.75/yard)...they too shall become Christmas gifts! 
100% pink cottons...love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment