Sunday, November 7, 2010

A starry quilt started....

So, a long time ago, I designed the below quilt in EQ6. I bought EQ6 with my MIL a few years ago when I started getting into quilting. It has really helped me understand blocks and layouts, but I have never really used it for actually doing an entire quilt before...so this was a first. 

My mom's house is maroons and pinks and mauves...so, I thought I would do a quilt with stars and creams and mauves, so this was my first design.  I picked this quilt because it is made up of one single simple block that looks so amazing when you repeat it over and over again...

But then, after I saw those blue and brown Moda fabrics I fell in love with, I knew those had to be the fabrics for this next quilt, so I played with the colors.  I thought blue stars with brown stripes at first, but I wasn't really digging it....

I then thought maybe brown stars with blue stripes, but I really didn't like that, even though the stars stood out really well...

Finally I learned you can actually take a picture of your fabrics and import them into EQ6...so, I did that to give myself a better idea of what it would look like...and here it is below, and I really like it.  The cross-hatching is going to be in the pattern as light-light-dark-dark, so there will be dark squares in the quilt. 

Once I had that figured out, I had to do math. It took me a bit, and we will see if my calculations are correct, because then I started cutting. 
 Lots of piles of squares right now...

The four patches went really fast..the longest time was the pressing, but since I spent a good amount of time making sure everything was pressed nicely, they pulled into shape right away...I made 170 of these.  I need more (*i think*) for the size I want to do, but I thought I would just do 170 and see how the quilt starts to shape up.  My design is currently calling for 120 blocks, which would be 240 four patches.  Whew!

I started on the half square triangles on Friday with the help of my Seams Easy...gotta love that thing!  I also  cut my squares bigger than what is recommended, and then I will use my Tucker Trimmer to trim those babies to a perfect 2 1/2 inch square...

I'll be using my Featherweight for this quilt, as it has a much nicer straight stitch then my Kenmore.  Also, I need to get my Kenmore serviced here soon...I think it needs a tune-up!


No comments:

Post a Comment