Saturday, June 25, 2011

Birthday and Winzer Stube...

Last Sunday was someones 60th birthday!  We had the whole afternoon planned...little did he know...we packed up the kids and picked up Grandpa and Grandma and headed to the Winzer Stube in Wisconsin.  It is authentic German food --- the first time I had real German food I  hated it...I thought it was really salty and greasy and it was just not good.  I wasn't going again.  Then, I got dragged along on another family outing one time to a different German restaurant called  "Winzer Stube" and I certainly was not excited about it.  Plus, I remember the company we were there with made me feel totally uncomfortable, so I was out of sorts.  But, when the food came, I was like, whoa, this is awesome!  We have been back about 4 or 5 times, and everytime I have enjoyed it since.  This time I had my favorite...Jagersnitchzel with spaetzle, and red and white cabbage.  I enjoyed the red cabbage the best, as usual. 
Evan was feeling a little under the weather...when he gets congested, he gets goop coming out of his eyes...poor boy....
 After dinner we came back home and picked up DQ.  The boys loved it..even though they were SO FULL. 

I had my first butterscotch dilly bar...I love butterscotch sundaes (LOVE THEM) so why I hadn't tried this ever, I dunno.  It was good, but definately didn't compare to a sundae. 

Enjoying the gorgeous night!

Exhausted...
 We had my brother Kevin (and I guess my Dad came along too) do a little decorating while we were gone to surprise the birthday boy...they did a good job...it was pretty funny how many streamers were everywhere!

Nathan helping open the gift...a big smoker!  I can't wait to taste some smoked stuff outta there....
After the evening ended, it hit me that a big day (my first day of work at the new place) was coming and I felt odd.  I know it will take awhile to get used to things there...lots of new systems and ways of doing things, and lots of new people I have to get used to...after Monday, I wasn't sure I had made the right decision, even though every fiber in me told me I needed to go.  I know I just need to trust in that.  By Wednesday and Thursday, I was starting to feel a lot better about things.  Either way, I think it is really going to be a tough year for me work-wise...but then, when I think about my old job, how is that any different than any of the past 5 years?  Every year I felt like it was just getting more and more tough.   Part of me wishes I would just catch on right away...like, hmm, on Monday, everything would just start to click and I would fit right now...

On other notes, I have been varnishing.  Oh the whoas of varnishing!  I felt like if I did this myself I would feel so proud, but with varnishing, all I feel like is that I am failing.  The first coat went on really well...I was like, I can totally do this!  The second coat, ummm....not so much.  I got some drip marks or marks where it wasn't even a drip...just like too much or something...it wasn't smooth, I was having trouble sanding things out...argh!  Just frustration.  I finally worked things out and put a 3rd coat on yesterday on three of the pieces to see how it turned out.  I was very upset with the one larger piece.  So, I went to Menards today and got some different sanding tools and some foam brushes (rather than natural bristle) to see if that helped.  I just went downstairs to look at my work from this morning, and I think it looks pretty good for an amateur.  Hopefully by tomorrow I can finally say "I am done varnishing one piece of the mantel!  Only 6 more pieces to go!"  maybe after I get the hang of it...it will go more smoothly?   Here's hoping....

Speaking of hope, I have been really bad on the praying lately.  I feel like I have lost touch with God because I am so busy, and really, it should be the opposite.  I need to find my connection again and start to really lean in on him...especially just for reading and hearing the news...so many people are suffering, and I just want to pray for them and thank God for taking care of them....

No comments:

Post a Comment