Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sweltering heat, blogs, and ceilings...

It's always around this time of year I start to wonder why on earth I was longing for summer in the middle of January...in fact, I should label this post "read this when it is 30 below windchill"!  Actually, I think I will.  ha!  No one who reads this blog from anywhere around here will be interested to know that for the past week, it pretty much didn't even pay to go outside.  You seriously stepped out the door and were drenched from head to toe in humidity and thick, dense, hot air....I am young and healthy, and at times found it hard to breathe.  Yuck.  Nathan's sport's class was cancelled, the trip to the Zoo was cancelled that I volunteered for, and Evan and his friends pretty much were stuck inside all week. 

But, my plants loved it and the garden's are in full force...we had BLT's last Sunday and I have enjoyed cucumbers now for the past few days.  There ain't nothing like a fresh Minnesota cucumber....if someone were to ask me what summer tastes like, it would be juicy tomatoes, crisp green beans, and crunchy cucumbers....

Lovin' the look despite the humidity....

Lilies so pretty right now...gotta enjoy them as the red and pinks don't last...

The purple flowers are Phlox...deer love phlox, which is why one plant has none.  I do my best....

At the bottom of my steps are my rose bushes...and our new birch tree right there is doing well too....I can't wait for all the trees on the side of our house to get bigger...it will do a lot for the late afternoon sun, not to mention, block the neighbors....
I have so much I can blog about...we really have been busy this summer...the days just fly by, and work is even worse...I get into work and then suddenly it is time to leave work...there is no possibly way right now for me to be disengaged...each week I am liking my new job more and more and in ways I didn't know was possible...it makes me think that I was truly unhappy at Deloitte for such a long time that I had no idea how bad it had become. 

Anyways, I have been trying to keep up on blogging but I like reading blogs so much more than writing them...I really find what people are doing interesting, especially if they are people I wish I still were in contact with on a regular basis and for some reason or another, we have drifted apart.  I also enjoy a few blogs of people that I never met but that inspire me...I wish my blog inspired people...but I find my blog is more or less a way of dumping out thoughts in my head about my day, so, it probably doesn't. 

Anyways, the varnishing continued on this week...here is a shot after two coats...you will find it looks pretty much the same as after one coat.  After this varnishing experience I can pretty much say I HATE IT.  I think it saved us around $200 though...and hey, that will buy us groceries for a few weeks...



Another big (HUGE) thing that has finally come to reality this month was our ceiling/sub-floor was finally completed.  The ladder got put up and as soon as that happened, I started hauling stuff up it.  Let me tell you, I think I have made about 50 trips up and down that ladder already...but it is so easy, and so AMAZING, to have so much storage space where you had none before...talk about a GREAT use of space!  Kudos to my FIL in for putting the idea into our heads! 
Ladder
Here is a shot of how things looked a few days ago (I have since added more)...I have all the baby stuff up there, the boxes of baby/maternity clothes, toddler clothes, boxes of electronic stuff Chris refuses to throw away but never uses (including these incredibly old speakers he insists he will someday put up somewhere, like the garage, which I don't get since he is not the type of man to need speakers in a garage because he doesn't work in the garage all that much...). 

Yesterday I went over to my mom's and finally started grabbing some of my more precious toys I have saved since I was little that she let me keep there after I moved out.  I am a sentimental fool, so I plan on playing with each one before I put them away, and taking pictures and reminiscing...I'll be sharing those with you...so stay tuned!

Oh, and speaking of ceilings, I have to make a comment...get your arses together and fix our debt/spending problem and stop acting like this is such a frickin' difficult thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment