Saturday, September 17, 2011

Well, its been a long been a long been a long been a long day...

(musical fans everywhere appreciate the title I am sure).

YES!  A loooonnnnnngggggg day.  Actually, since I wrote yesterday, it has been rather hectic.  After I signed off yesterday, I went into the bathroom to get cleaned up so I could do some shoppin' - had a 20% discount coupon for Joann and I knew that some fabrics were on sale there so it would be a great day to go get some stuff I had been holding off on for awhile. 

Halfway through things in there, Gigi moved and I noticed she was bleeding.  I thought maybe she had just had a hard stool or something (sorry if TMI) but it didn't stop.  So, I after about an hour of debating whether or not to take her in I did - turns out, she was getting pretty sick - had an infection/colitis, got two shots while were there, is on two meds now that we are home, and I can really tell now she still isn't feeling well.  Poor thing.  She hates being pilled, and I hate pilling her.  Argh.  Pets I tell you.

So, that took about 2.5 hours out of my day, so I started off way behind...Chris stayed home on Friday and he actually cleaned out a bunch of the pheasants out of the freezer - cooked them up and repackaged them, which was great -- of course, after he did that, I notice our freezer really needs to be defrosted...another job to add to the list!

But, I did get the squash roasted and made squash soup -- at first I didn't think it turned out okay, but I think I had tasted it too much and had started to just question myself, because even my sister, who was over for dinner last night, enjoyed it and she has pretty high standards when it comes to food, so that was really nice.  I forgot to take a picture though. 

I do have some really cute pics to share from two weekends ago though...

This is from two Saturdays ago..we took the boys to the park for a picnic - with Daddy too, so it was special.  It was sprinkling and cloudy, but no one seemed to mind..after all, Daddy splurged and bought Mommy some Cheetos....

Even though we really enjoyed the picnic, this was kind of a hard day for us.  The day before the daycare center director stopped me on my way in to pick up the kids to "talk to me".  I thought she wanted to talk about Evan moving to the Waddler Room, but no, she wanted to talk to me about Nathan's behavior.  I know Nathan behaves well at home so I was confused and thought he must have done something just awful.  But, she didn't tell me anything that bad....Nathan had been kind of whiny, having little fits occasionally, and taking toys from other kids...And then she said to me, "he really shouldn't be acting this way for his age" and "he just seems a little off".   All the little alarm bells and red flags went off in my head after hearing her say that and I shut down...

Since then we have talked with both his teachers, talked with other parents, coworkers, family and friends and have no concerns about Nathan's behavior.  He is acting like a typical four-year-old...as my other friends with older boys tell me, "Oh, you didn't know being four is like being two, but with an attitude?!"  In addition, his teachers told us that the week before Nathan was excellent, and it just so happened another little boy was on vacation that week...and apparentely Nathan and this other boy are very competitive with each other. 

Mom's with kids in daycare understand this stuff...once I started talking about, it was amazing to hear all these stories and how people could relate -- not to mention how much advice I got on "center directors" as well as teachers who under react to things and teachers who over react.  who knew?! 

Either way, we are constantly working to teach our kids to be respectful and to be true to themselves. 
 

I find that teaching kids brings out wisdom in yourself that you didn't know you had - or even wisdom that you aren't following yourself.  I find myself saying things to Nathan that I still struggle with today.  When are you the teacher...and when are you the student?


Oh Evan, where do you get those blue eyes from?!!  I think my Dad and my Grandpa had blue eyes...but I am actually not certain....

That's it for tonight.  It's late - I ran a million errands today and attended my first fall quilting class.. -- it was totally fun, but I am totally tired now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment