Tuesday, September 13, 2011

yes yes yes...

I haven't written....I have been too busy with life!  And thank goodness, if I wasn't, life would be boring....remind me of that next time I become, OVERWHELMED.

The past few weeks have been busy putting up preserves and canning for winter....I did a ton of corn.  It was so funny, there was this huge uproar at my parent's house.   My mom called a few weeks ago and told me to come get some corn since it wasn't ripe yet, but she knows how I like it just barely ripe...I asked her what was taking so long, corn everywhere else was ripe...she didn't know!  She did tell me that dad had to replant, so it was probably late.  So, we go and pick a few cobs..and I take them home...a few hours later I cook them up and am like, what the heck, this corn is totally ripe, it is just white!  So, I called mom and said, "could this perhaps be silver or white corn?"  Well, of course my dad flipped out and thought I was nuts...yadda yadda...a few hours later, everyone was more than convinced (after Dad thought about it) that sure enough, he did plant white corn!  Too funny. 


All cut up...my hand was pretty sore after...
Since I was doing corn, I figured, the kitchen is a diaster anywas, so I might as well can tomato sauce.  I used my mom's tomato press --- she hasn't used it in awhile, and it was full of bugs (dead ones)!!  I had to scrub it out and bleach it - which took over an hour.  Then, I finally could run the tomatoes through...whew!  hard work.  But, I think I did around 12 pints...pretty good.  I won't need tomato sauce for awhile.  I also did some a few days after but was out of jars, so I read online that you could just freeze it.  So, I have a few bags frozen.   

Ready for the freezer.
 Like I said, the kitchen was a diaster, so I made zucchini bread too...regular and lemon.  They turned out great - froze a couple loaves and gave some away. 

Done with tomatoes...as you can see, there were more to ripen -- and apples on the left to make into applesauce, got a couple bags out of those....
 Evan wasn't much help with it all...
This is one of the first times he has fed himself a bottle!  He will drink sippy cups np on his own, but the bottle?  Heck no, Mommy or Daddy should do that!
 So, I have had on my "to do" list for a long time, to cut up the old jeans we have had lying around....it will eventually become a quilt (like a ragtime one), but dang, did it take a long time to cut up these jeans!

as usual, Roar finds a spot to sit next to me...
It is hard to believe all this happened a few weeks ago and now it feels like Fall out...I think it will be in the 40's tonight with a chance of a frost tomorrow night...crazy but wonderful at the same time.  I think the blue of the sky in the Fall is one of the best things -- it is so blue and so beautiful...i am not sure why it is this time of year, but it just is...and I have been looking up to Heaven each day and thinking how wonderful it is...along with the Harvest Moon!  Last night I laid in bed for about 30 minutes and just watched the moon...just love it...

No comments:

Post a Comment