Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20th. November 20th.

Yup, that is today.  Boy November has flown by.  Well, I went on my trip to Milwaukee and made it back safe.  Despite being at the airport an hour and a half before departure, I found myself waiting in an "unusually" long security line, followed by running to my gate (in my socks because I had Dankso's on that I couldn't run in) and being one of the last people on the plane.

After that, the captain comes on the speaker to tell us that there was going to be some pretty bad turbulence the last 20 minutes of the 40 minute flight - so, there would be no beverage service that morning.  I was like, dang, it is going to bumpy!  Oh goodie...combine my fear of flying (terrified!) with a bumpy ride...fun.  So, they pushed us away from the gate and we sat there for 10 minutes.  After that, the captain came on again and said the left engine was showing a "caution" light so the mechanic had to see if he could clear that before we could take off.  Seriously, I was like, "GET ME THE HE!! OFF THIS PLANE!"  but no, the mechanic cleared it, and I started praying.  It was definately a bumpy trip...a few times I thought we hit something, but it was just turbulence.  I am glad I don't fly very much. 

The conference was good...but Evan got pretty sick that day (or so I thought at the time).  He got sent home from daycare with bad diarhea and had to stay  home with Daddy the next day.  Chris said he took a 4+ hour nap...I guess this should have been our first clue.  On Friday, daycare was closed and Chris left on another pheasant hunting trip with my brother.  Things were good - we ran errands, played outside and raked and mowed up leaves, and had a good night at Grandma's where we ordered pizza. 

Saturday was even busier...I dropped Evan off at Grandma's and then my mom and sister came over and we made Christmas cookies -- about 5 PM I picked up Evan and he had had a great day spending time with Grandma.   We came home and I  made a bottle for Evan and started to get him ready for bed.  I noticed his ears were all red and then I felt his foreheard - the kids was burning up.

His fever was 103.8 - nothing too alarming for Evan when he first gets sick...the kid runs high fevers after shots too.  I gave him some ibuprofen, a bottle and some hugs, and put him to bed.  He fell asleep right away -- an hour later, his fever was down to 102, around 8pm, as I started to get Nathan ready for bed, it was 99 -- I was like, good boy Evan! 

Nathan and I got ready for bed as I had promised him he could sleep in my bed with me when Daddy was out of town...we got everything ready and then I tucked him in.  I was pretty tired from the big day so I was planning on going to bed too after I checked one more time on Evan.  Then it got fun...

Evan's temp was 94.5.  I was like, what?!  This thermometer must be broken.  I checked again and again and again and it would read 95, 95.1, 94.9.  I checked it on me - 98.8, 98.5...I checked it on Nathan - 97.6...what the heck was going on?  I called Chris and talked to him about it, and then googled a low temp...I did what they said...raised the temp of the house, bundled Evan up, tried to give him some more warm milk, and held him close (as much as he would let me).  Two hours went by and his temp was still low...I called the doctor.  He called me back and said, "take him in.  Sounds like an infection, possibly pnenomia." 

Nathan was so upset I never came back to the room, but by 11PM he was finally asleep.  I tried to wake him up to tell him I was leaving, but he didn't budge.  I called Chris' parents and all I said, "I need help.  Evan is sick and I have to go to the ER, can you come?"  They came.  Grandpa stayed with Nathan and Grandma came with me and I am so glad she was there because it was awful.

When we got into triage, Evan's rectal temp was only 94.6...they took him back almost right away and tried to get an IV into the boy.  I held him for over an hour as the tears streamed down his face as they tried over and over again to get an IV into him...the veins kept collapsing and  his arms were getting bruised and splotchy.  I was calling out to Jesus silently for help as the tears streamed down my face as well...finally they were able to get an IV in on the 6th attempt and get some blood drawn. 

A half hour later, the tests started to come back...they finally did a chest xray and sure enough, pnenomia.  Because his was so little and his temp was still low, they decided to transfer us to Mercy, so Evan and I got to ride in an ambulance.

good grief, as if it couldn't be any more exhausting, the first ambulance arrives and we find out they cannot take us because the EMT dude in the back hasn't had IV training yet.  So, they had to call another, more trained, ambulance.  They showed up pretty quick, but took a while to get things ready for us.  There were three woman, and one of them was an idiot.  She didn't know how to hold the IV, she asked me if I wanted to attached the sensors to Evan (to which one of the other woman yells at her "that is a medical life saving device.  you can't have her do that!")  And then I hear the one woman ask the other woman as she gets into the driver's seat, "how do we get to Mercy from here?" 

Almost two hours later, we get to Mercy.  They check his temp and it is finally recovering.  Evan has now had one round of heavy-dose IV antibiotics...its about 6:30 AM and we get him some cheerios and he starts to act a little better...we all finally crash about 7:30 and sleep for an hour. 

We spent the day there, and although his temp would go up to 98, it would sometimes drop back down to 96.  The doctors said it could just be how Evan's body reacts to a bad infection, or it could be the pnenomia...either way, about 7PM that night they said we could (SHOULD) go home because Evan was acting great (a little terror there...he had had it being stuck in that room all day, attached that IV, he wanted OUT).  Oh, and did I mention, the IV was in his thumb sucking hand? So, yes, that made him quite ornery as well.

But, I do have to say, I much prefer the ornery Evan to the cold, clammy Evan I had a mere 24 hours earlier. 

He is doing well -- we kept him home from school until Thursday, and sent him back.  They said he had a great day.  I had a hard time sleeping all week...I would get up and feel his forehead, check his temp (which I have since learned drops for him when he falls asleep), and make sure he was breathing.  Thursday was the first night where I didn't wake up 5 or 6 times to do that...and by Thursday night, I was exhausted. 

I cancelled our first ever family vacation, and yes, that is why I am sitting here right now typing this all out.  It didn't seem right to take Evan to a waterpark one week after being admitted to the hospital for pnenomia.  The doctor said he would be fine, but I was too worried about being away if things acted up again. 

I know it was the right thing to do, but I can't help feeling a little bummed about it -- we would be there by now, exploring the hotel room and probably having some dinner.  Tomorrow and Tuesday would have been such fun days - but now, Chris and I are both going to go to work instead.  Such is life! 

I am so thankful for the doctors and nurses that took care of us all...with a few exceptions, most everyone was wonderful and I could tell they felt awful with how bad little Evan felt.  The first bill has come, and yes, while that does hurt, especially knowing that more bills will come, it is okay, because it was for Evan.

I am just hoping he doesn't have a relapse or anything, and that we all stay healthy.  Chris says that we should reschedule the trip in January...but now I fear that any trip I schedule will have to be cancelled by sickness. 

On Friday I found out my kitty (Gigi) is very sick.  We are running tests - she is down to 8 pounds, when she is normally at 12. 

Whew.  This is a long post.  But this is what has been going on lately.  A happier post next time...with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment