Friday, December 23, 2011

Ribbon Sandwiches

Today I made Ribbon Sandwiches - my Aunt Jeanne always made these...but they way she taught us to make them was WAY too difficult.  After some research, I realized these were much simpler (albeit the overall process did take two hours) and I am so excited to try these tomorrow night!  I will have to remember to take pictures of the final product.

Ribbon Sammies

First you make egg salad and ham salad.  Because both of these are going in sandwiches that will have layers, you want to make the salads more on the "dry" side.  I stuck with about 1/4 cup of salad dressing for both.  And, as you can see, I made half my ham salad "spicy"...those are ground up fresh jalapenos...


So, then you take your bread, four slices that stack up as square as possible..I used soft rye and pumpernickel...You spread butter on each side of the bread that will be touching the spread...so, first you put your bread down, butter the top, spread on your ham salad, butter both sides of the next piece of bread, and move onto your next layer. 

The next layer is the cheese in my sandwiches...you can use cream cheese or any soft cheese...I know CheezeWiz is kind of gross but honestly it is quite delicious in these sandwiches and is the only time I ever buy it...
 The almost finished product is below...you wrap this up and let it rest if the fridge for 12 - 24 hours, and then slide them into pretty ribbon sandwiches.  I'll take pics of the final product. 

My helper is below.  Causing trouble as you can see.  He is NOT supposed to be on the chair or have the phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment