Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recipes for Church Cookbook - classic!s

We recently switched churches, and it was one of the best things I feel I have done in a long time.  Although, I still haven't informed the old church that we left....whoops!  Anyways, they are doing a new cookbook (don't you  just love church cookbooks?  They always have the best recipes!) and these are the four I submitted -- all mine with the exception of the one below noted from my mom:


The first is a marinade I made up after trying several and taking the things I like -- I haven't found anyone that doesn't enjoy it or ask for a recipe, so I figure it must be good:

Chicken &Beef Marinade
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup soy sauce
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup spicy brown mustard
1 ½ t. coarse black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix well.  Marinate meat in bag 4 - 24 hours.  Great marinade for kabobs or for grilling steaks/chicken.

This following recipe was inspired by a salad made by Dayton's in their downtown Skyroom...Chris and I love it --

Broccoli & Bacon Salad
1 cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
4 t. lemon juice
1 t. sugar
6 cups broccoli florets
1 cup. extra sharp cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
16 slices cooked bacon, crispy and crumbled
2/3 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
2/3 cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped red onion
Mix salad dressing, lemon juice, and sugar.  Toss with remaining ingredients.  Let chill an hour before serving.

This is from my mom.  It's not fancy.  It's not time-consuming.  It's not hard.  It's just good. 

Meatballs and Gravy
1 lb. ground beef
2 T. minced onion
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/8 t. celery salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
½ cup cracker crumbs
½ cup water
Flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ cup water
1 beef bouillon cube
Mix meat, onion, seasonings, crumbs and water.  Form into small balls (20-24).  Roll in flour.  Brown in a small amount of oil (just need to brown).  Remove fat from pan and then return meatballs to pan.  Mix soup, water, and bouillon and pour over meatballs.  Simmer for 30 minutes or so, adding more water if needed.  Enjoy! 

This is a bar recipe that I had and have modified to my liking -- not sure where the original is from...but anyways, if you know me, I rarely make something for dessert without chocolate in it (why bother you know)...but I made these, and I really love them. Probably because I love cranberries...

Cranberry Bog Bars
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour
1 can (15-16 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup pecans, finely chopped
½ brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats
Mix first four ingredients together and press into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  Spread cranberry sauce over this.  Mix remaining ingredients and crumble over cranberry sauce.  Bake at 350º for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool and cut into bars.  Makes 2 - 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment