Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pillows with piping...my first attempt...

My mom asked me a few weeks ago if I could make her some throw pillow covers out of some old pillows she had.  She wanted them to be a chocolate brown.  The pillows themselves were a tad misshaped, but I figured I could make something nice. 
 
At first I was just going to make a regular pillow case and not do an envelope or anything.  But, then my mom (who, likes things clean!) said, "how will I wash them?"  So, I decided to do envelope pillows.  I am not experienced much with zippers and my mom didn't want anything fancy.
 
But, then I was looking at patterns I noticed that pillows with piping look so much more complete - almost store bought.  So, I taught myself how to make piping and here's how things came out:
 

The one on the left is the first one.  The pillow kind of has "dog ears", not too bad, but I wondered why it turned out like that when I did a perfect square, and rounded the corners.  It turns out you need to round the corners a lot more when doing a "square" pillow due to the way the pillow will puff up.  Makes sense if you think about it.  So, on the second one, I did that and it turned out better.


The one on the right though looks a little smaller because of this, even though the dimensions were exactly the same. 

Here are the backs.  The first one barely covered with a 2" overlap, which was recommended.  So, on the second one, I did a much larger overlap, but then its loose at the top because I didn't meet the seams in the middle, where the fat of the pillow is.  All things to take into consideration next time.  Either way, I think my mom will love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment