Thursday, January 15, 2015

All of Me

On the way home tonight I was listening to the radio, and "All of Me" came on.

I always pay close attention to lyrics (my husband not at all, he just listens to the music).  But that's neither here nor there -- the song struck me in a very powerful way tonight even though I have heard it many times.

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections

When we choose to love someone forever when we get married or when we make a true friendship,  how willing are we to love all of that person?

-their good days, and their really shitty days?   When they are rude about your clothes or your house? When they hurt you, intentional or not.  Not just when they invite you over, but the worst -- when they forget all about you and act like you don't matter.  

If you are like me, loving someone when they are at their worst is very hard.  

It's like loving your kids -- you get to love the good and the bad.  



How many times do I have to tell you
Even when you're crying you're beautiful too
The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood




Before I became a parent, I imagined my kids would be a mix of me and Christopher.  I didn't, however, realize that that "mix" would be something unrecognizable to me.  My kids do things and act ways that I never imagined because I never did those things or acted those ways.  



And I never imagined how often they would be sick, the ups and the downs, the tantrums, the whining, the begging, all the stuff no one ever tells you because the good stuff trumps it.  But, when you are in the muck, all you feel is MUCK!



With three boys, I often feel like this:  

My head's under water
But I'm breathing fine


It's so busy and I am so tired some days, but I wouldn't trade it.

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind



Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts
Risking it all, though it's hard


'Cause all of me
Loves all of you



Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections



No comments:

Post a Comment