Friday, January 22, 2016

A day in the life post...

About three or four years ago, doing "a day in the life" post was really popular,...and I always wanted to do one!  I really do enjoy reading them...so, I thought I would do one for this post:

A Day In The Life of Renee -- A work day

5:50 AM:  Wake up.  Decide I am way too tired to go into work or ever get out of bed.  ever.  Test leg to see if it still hurts.  Yup.  Damn.

6:10 AM:  Husband in shower, guess I should get out of this dang bed and get kids up.  Wake up Evan by turning on his light.  He rolls over.  I head back to my room. 



6:12 AM:  Evan is ready to go and is bouncing on my bed.  He amazes me with how fast he wakes up, gets dressed, and is smiling.  I tell him to wake the ranks.



6:20 AM:  Nathan up, Daddy getting out of shower.  I ask Nathan if he read his Cub Tracks book, he says  "no".  I complain and tell him to go get it quickly -- I am half dressed (no pants yet!).



6:30 AM:  Kids and Daddy heading out the door.  I glance down quickly to make sure Nathan has boots and Evan has his letter "L" toy.  I head upstairs and start doing my exercises & stretches for my injured leg.  I think, "am I ever going to get better Lord?   It's been over four weeks now..."



6:45 AM:  I am finally dressed -- I head down and feed cats, take out some garbage, grab some lunch, and start the car. A few minutes later I head to the Park and Ride.  (Normally I would stay home and take Nathan to school, but parking downtown has been non-existent around 9:30 AM since it got cold this week.  On Monday I had to valet my car!  So, Nathan went to Grandmas before school today....)

7:00 AM: Get on the bus.  Bus is pretty full by the time I get on so I have an aisle seat in the middle.  Not my favorite.  I get out my phone and check messages, emails, texts, facebook, and then I play HayDay.  Dang, gotta plant tomatoes today!



7:30 AM:  I arrive downtown Minneapolis and get off bus.  I walk to work, not too chilly this morning, air feels good.  I know I should have a fiscal year corporate return to review this morning so I think I will start with that -- excited to  have a quiet cup of coffee at my desk and dig into things.  Sunrise is gorgeous.



9:00 AM:  Haven't even started on that return I thought I was going to look at -- getting interrupted and trying to get my time for the week entered.  Cup of coffee, still half full, sitting on my desk lukewarm.  Have a meeting in 30 minutes so should prep a little for that and print out some information so I can review that return post meeting.  I need to go to the bathroom too...



10:00 AM:  Back from meeting discussing international tax implications going forward on a client expanding in New Zealand -- not my favorite type of work.  Ready to dig into reviewing this return -- ready, set, go.  Think:  I need to water plants, so I dump my water into them since I know I will forget later.   Now I have no water.  Get water and get started. 



10:10 AM: Return is prepared by a relatively young staff person, who never prepares corporate returns, so I remind myself of that.   It's in okay shape, but a few big errors here and there already.  *sigh*



11:30 AM:  Barely gotten half through the return -- a few of the schedules that should tie things out don't tie out.  Time for another meeting.



12:15 PM:  Meeting over and I am starving -- head to the fridge and grab leftovers to heat up in microwave -- heat them up, read Paul Douglas' weather forecast and think of what an idiot he is, and head back down with my lunch.



2:00 PM:  Mid year performance review with my partner counselor.  Spend an hour discussing goals, past year, future work, things to improve on, things to think about, how I am going to continue managing my schedule -- overall, a good meeting.



3:00 PM -- SHIT!  I gotta get outta here and catch the 3:20 in order to make it to my 4:15 PT appointment.  I have to pack up my computer and this return so I can work on it later tonight or tomorrow.


3:20 PM  -- Get on bus.  Take a break and take out my phone to play Hayday, but my eyes are tired.  Shut it off and rest my eyes during the ride.


4:00 PM -- Arrive at park and ride.  Appointment in 15 minutes -- book it car and get going.


4:15 PM - At appointment.  PT says I am walking "better".  I know I am, but can't wait for the day he says I am walking "normal".  Also can't wait for the day of no pain.  If I never feel my piriformis muscles or hip abductors again I will be happy. 


5:00 PM -- Leave appointment, very sore.  He worked me hard.  I am amazed that even though before this happened I could jog a 5K no problem, I still have incredibly weak muscle groups which probably caused this injury.  I vow if I ever get better I am going to fix that and crosstrain more. 


5:15 PM - Pick up kids since Daddy hasn't gotten them yet.  Text Daddy to start meatloaf if he gets home, as I put hamburger in the fridge to thaw before I left.  First I stop and get Nathan and Jeffrey, then I stop and get Evan at Preschool.


5:40 PM - Get home, Daddy is still MIA.  House dark, cold, and nothing going for dinner.  Take kids winter coats off, tell each what to do, where to go, turn on TV show for Evan and Jeffrey, tell kids to let cats out, give them food, change my clothes, tell kids to pick up toys from last night, take out garbages, make their beds, pick up their shoes, stop arguing who gets to sit where on the couch, and I take out the hamburger to make meatloaf.   Listen to Nathan tell me about his day while I start dinner.

5:55 PM - Meatloaf in oven.  Daddy comes home and goes downstairs to work a little on Nathan's new bookshelf.

7:15 PM - Kids keep telling me they are starving -- finally we eat!  Good dinner.

8:00 PM - Bedtime!  Start with Jeffrey, Evan, and then eventually Nathan.

8:30 PM -- decide I am tired and I go lay with Nathan.  We chat about life and he tells me all sorts of things I never get out of him during the day.  Even though I don't plan on falling asleep on his bed, I do...

11:00 PM - Wake up.  Move to my own bed.  I love the night!  Look for the moon, fall back asleep.










No comments:

Post a Comment