Friday, July 8, 2016

My own lettuce wraps

Yesterday after fishing I was picking some veggies in Grandmas garden.  She had beautiful pea pods, perfect radishes, and huge leaves of romaine lettuce.

Chris and I have felt like the holiday weekend was too much indulging, so this week we planned on eating better and no drinking.

So, while I was picking veggies I thought to myself, I should make lettuce wraps out of these.  I know we don't have any ground chicken though, so I could pick some up on the way home.  Well, Chris got in the truck when we were leaving and he said, "we don't have ground chicken, but we do have a lot leftover.  We should just grind up what we have and use that."

So we did!  He came home and ground up the chicken we had (already cooked), and I made lettuce wraps using this recipe below.  I based it off one I found on the internet.  We had one from my SIL, but I couldn't find it...anyways, we decided this one was way better since it was less sweet.

Here we go!

Renee's (Fabulous!) Lettuce Wraps

Olive oil
1 pound ground chicken (we used chicken we had leftover; it was a different texture, more mushy, but still delicious flavor)
1 large onion, diced
2 or 3 small zucchini, peeled and diced
Fresh pea pods
Radishes, sliced very thin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2/3 cup hoisin sauce (I use a whole small container lots of times...)
2 T rice wine vinegar
1 T ginger
2 T Siracha (I probably added more, since we love spice)
3 T soy sauce (I also added more to this, to taste, because mine was a little dry)
1 can water chestnuts, sliced into small pieces
2 or 3 scallions
Black pepper (with the soy sauce added, you don't really need salt, but taste to check)
Any lettuce you enjoy you can wrap up

So, I browned the chicken in the olive oil, and then added the garlic and onions and cooked until they were done.  I think next time I will brown the chicken, and then cook the garlic and onions separate, and mix together to keep the chicken from over cooking.  Anyways, next I added all the other ingredients except for the pea pods, radishes, and scallions.  I let it all simmer, served in the lettuce and garnished with the pea pods and radishes, which gave it a great crunch.  I am pretty excited to make this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment